Central Illinois Reads
For more than 20 years, Peoria Public Library has hosted a citywide literary event inviting all residents to read the same book at once.
But this year, instead of one city and one book, Peoria Public Library is joining with sister libraries across Central Illinois to invite everyone to read outside their comfort zone by choosing a banned or challenged book. Instead of Peoria Reads, we are Central Illinois Reads.
Six area public libraries will join Peoria Public Library along with longtime Peoria Reads partners, Bradley University, Methodist College and Neighborhood House.
Our partner libraries include: Chillicothe Public Library, Dunlap Public Library District, Fondulac District Library, Illinois Prairie District Public Library, Morton Public Library and Pekin Public Library.
Peoria Reads! is led by Peoria Public Library with the help of community partners, Methodist College, Bradley University and Neighborhood House.
• Bring our diverse community together in ways to promote better understanding.
• Broaden and deepen readers’ appreciation for books dealing with significant issues.
• Bring more people into libraries, bookstores, and literacy institutions
• Increase opportunities for discussion between youth and adults
• Achieve a better understanding of ourselves and of our own humanity.