Provides excellent customer service by proactively responding to patron and staff requests at the assigned desk and on the library floor; performs other duties as assigned. Reports to the Manager of McClure Branch.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
• Provides reference and readers advisory service to customers in person or over the phone, consistently providing high level customer service
• Performs circulation duties, checks library materials in; issues library cards; collects fines, etc.
• Empties book drops during regular library hours
• Helps customers successfully use the library
• Assists with day-to-day department duties such as shelving, weeding and mounting displays
• Assists in collection maintenance under direct supervision by processing new materials especially periodicals, weeding, mending or shelving, etc.
• Processes holds; places holds; finds and/or receives holds; notifies customers when holds are available for pick-up
• Processes billing for damaged or lost materials; deletes lost, damaged or paid items from the system
• Submits interlibrary loan requests
• Provides assistance for Summer Reading, story hours, author visits, tours, class visits and other programs
• Cleans and repairs non-print materials, including books on CD and DVDs
• Participates in opening and closing procedures, including starting up computers, discharging book drop, completing pick lists and preparing deliveries at opening; powering down computers, checking bathrooms and setting alarms at closing
• Assists customers and staff with basic computer questions
• Books study rooms/meeting rooms for walk-ins
• Prepares daily cash sheet reports
• Orders and monitors supplies as requested
• Processes books for book sale
• Ensures cleanliness of work area; puts away materials; cleans tables and computers
• May be required to work in multiple locations and on any of the 7 days of the workweek (Sunday – Saturday)
• Attends meetings and participates in committees and organizations that further the library’s mission and goals; and keeps abreast of library developments by attending workshops, webinars, and educational programs and reading periodicals and specialized literature; attends staff meetings.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
• Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Peoria Public Library’s policies and procedures
• Ability to act as a representative of Peoria Public Library to the public
• General knowledge of the basic principles, practices, and procedures for public library service and the ability to interpret them to the public
• Basic knowledge of circulation and reference services, practices and procedures
• Ability to establish priorities and organize workload
• Ability to maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere
• Ability to keep all relevant parties informed of all major issues and to recommend changes as appropriate
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse individuals (customers and staff) in order to accomplish library and department goals and objectives
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other professionals
• Knowledge of electronic resources, including the Internet; and ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office machines.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High School Diploma or G.E.D., and
• Six months relevant experience, or
• Equivalent combination of technical training, experience, or education.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
• Work requires light physical effort in the handling of moderately light materials in non-strenuous work positions up to 40 pounds.
• Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, libraries, classrooms or meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire and building safety regulations.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.